Posted in Moon astrophotography gallery
Quite possibly my best lunar image to date, created from violet and infrared data mapped to blue and red channels. I didn't manage to record anything for the green channel due to insufficient disk space and just averaged out the two others instead. More than 73 GB of raw data was produced during less than half an hour of acquisition. Processing of the entire material took 5-6 hours.
Due to non-standard filtering, this photo shows a little broader range of the visible spectrum than a computer monitor is able to reproduce. The colors are slightly off as compared to what a human eye would be able to see provided enough saturation, but it's close enough to RGB so that there wouldn't probably be much difference aside from less vibrant hues.
Thanks to the enhanced coloration, it's possible to examine the differences in the chemical composition of the lunar surface. For example, the bluish tint of several areas indicates a titanium-rich soil.
- Location: Piekary Śląskie, Poland
- Date and time: 2015 April 29, 21:30 - 21:58 CEST
- Camera: ZWO ASI174MM
- Filtering: Delta Optical-GSO Wratten #47 (violet) + Baader UV/IR-Cut (mapped to blue channel); Astronomik IR-Pass 742 (mapped to red channel)
- Mount: Sky-Watcher HEQ5
- Optics: Celestron C9.25; f = 2350 mm
- Exposure: 8 panes, 500 out of 2000 frames per pane in both channels (16 panes total)
- Processing: AutoStakkert (alignment, stacking); Astra Image (Lucy-Richardson deconvolution, wavelet transform); Adobe Photoshop (automatic alignment, channel mapping, color balance, curve adjustment)
This photograph elsewhere
- Wykop.pl threads: 1, 2 (pl)
- Reddit threads: /r/space; /r/astronomy; /r/astrophotography (en)
- ZW Optical image gallery (en)
- PetaPixel.com article (en)
- BoredPanda.com article (en)
- Anglia.today article (pl)
- CrazyNauka.pl article (pl)
- GeekWeek.pl articke (pl)
- JoeMonster.org article (pl)
- PTMA.pl article (pl)
- Fotoblogia.pl article (pl)
- Clickblog.it article (it)
- Xatakafoto.com article (es)
- Meiobit.com article (pt)
- Ephotozine.com article (en)
- Metro International article
- The Weather Channel news report (en)
- TVN24 news reports: 1, 2 (pl)
Share this photograph
Like my work? Spread the word!